Tuesday, January 6, 2015

How to: Survive Living with Your Parents Post-Grad


I received a request from a reader to do a post about living with your parents post-grad, so I thought I'd share some of my thoughts and experiences with y'all. This month will mark the eighth month that I've lived with my parents following my graduation in May. Let me start out by saying that I have a great relationship with my parents and I've enjoyed living with them. Of course we've had little disputes here and there, but overall, it's been a great experience. Here are some of my tips: 

Respect Their Rules
Honestly, I don't have a ton of rules at home. My parents know that I'm responsible, so they kind of let me do my own thing most of the time. Also, I'm 23 years old, so I think they know that I'm at the point where I can make my own decisions. However, they have a few key rules, so since they're so lenient on most things, I definitely make sure I respect the rules they do have. 

Keep Them Updated 
During high school, my parents were extremely strict. My weekend curfew was 10:30 haha! They always knew where I was going, who I was spending time with, etc. However, they really let me have my freedom once I graduated, and I respect them because of it. I know I don't have to tell them everything now, but I usually mention where I'm going after work, what friends I'm seeing on the weekend, and around the time I'll be home that night. I find that it makes them worry a lot less and that they appreciate knowing a general idea of what I'm doing! 

Have Some Independence 
My parents still do a lot of things for me. I'm so lucky that I don't have big bills and expenses, like rent, cable, electricity, etc., but I do think it's important to take on some responsibility and be independent even though you're living with them. I've been saving a significant portion of my paychecks, collecting furniture, and getting ready to buy my own car, so in a few months when I'm ready to move out, I will make the transition to independence a lot more easily. 

Be Appreciative 
I've been trying to let my parents know how much I appreciate them letting me live with them for free! Wether I actually tell them or do little errands for them to make their lives easier, I want them to know that I genuinely appreciate all that they do for me! 

Spend Time with Them 
My schedule has been so crazy lately, but I want to take advantage of the time that I can spend with my parents. We're pretty close, so I know if I move to another state this year, I'll miss them terribly! It's easier to spend time with my mom--we love consigning, lunching together, and doing fun things--but I've been making an effort to spend time with both of my parents, even if that means sacrificing a night out to watch a movie at home with them. 

I know I probably won't be living with my parents too much longer, so I'm really trying to spend time with them and take advantage of all the "perks" living at home offers! What's your advice for living at home post-grad? Have a great Tuesday! 

Miss Southern Prep 

4 comments:

  1. I lived at home for two months after I graduated and I found it very enjoyable!! It's really the norm now days, unless you are just some crazy lucky person to land some amazing job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips! I lived at home while at grad school. I didn't appreciate it as much as I should have at the time, but it was really good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with all the above. I love living with my parents!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great post! I lived with my mom for a year post-grad before moving halfway across the country, and I honestly wish I was back living with her. Never take your time at home for granted!

    xo
    Alex | Mrs. Mason Dixon

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the sweet comments, y'all!