Monday, August 4, 2014

Simple Manners: Dining

I am by no means a manners expert, but I do enjoy learning the "proper" way to handle or act in certain situations. I overanalyze, so sometimes I'll go over a situation a hundred times because I'm not sure if I handled it correctly, if I should have done something else, etc. Crazy, I know. I'm always brushing up on etiquette, so I thought I'd share some simple dining tips with y'all today.

Hostess Gifts
Hostess Gifts 
Once college is over, you're basically past the point of being able to go to a friend's house for dinner without a hostess gift. I've always loved bringing a bottle of wine, but some disagree, because they don't want the hostess to feel pressured into incorporating the wine with dinner. Above are some of my favorite hostess gift ideas.

Correct Table Setting 
I learned how to correctly set a table as a child, but if I'm in a rush, sometimes I have to think back to the "tricks" I learned. The fork always goes on the left, because fork has four letters, just like left. The spoon and knife go on the right, and they both have five letters. If you make the okay sign with your left hand, they form a "b" for bread, and your right forms a "d" for drink, so it's easy to remember which go on either side. 

Napkins 
I am always surprised at how many people don't put their napkin in their lap as soon as they take a seat at the table. I do this as soon as I sit down. If you need to leave during a meal, you should place the napkin on your seat, not the table. 

Utensils 
The above diagram shows how you should rest your utensils while eating (left) and how to indicate that you're finished (right).  

Thank You Notes 
Y'all know I'm a huge fan of thank you notes! I swear they get you farther in life--everyone loves them! Read my post about how to write the perfect thank you note. Try to send a thank you note within a week of the meal! 

Any other tips? Have a fabulous Monday! 

Miss Southern Prep
*All photos via Pinterest 

7 comments:

  1. I love this post it is so perfect!

    Lauren,
    http://www.atouchofsoutherngrace.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so right! Thank you notes are essential..and well written ones too.

    I have that #6 fish opener...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing how many people don't follow simple etiquette rules! Thank you notes and hostess gifts are always a must!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't even get me started on basic etiquette in NYC!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun post! I always need to brush up on the table setting. Sometimes I bring wine as my hostess gift, but orchids are another favorite of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm big on southern hospitality and manners, so I absolutely love this post!

    Kristin
    thedixiedaisy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the sweet comments, y'all!