Thursday, August 28, 2014

Decorating on a Budget: DIY Upholstered Headboard + Thank you

First, I want to thank all of y'all who commented on my post yesterday! I really appreciate all of your sweet words and reassurance! It really means a lot to me! 
XOXO 
_________________________


Today, I wanted to share an easy, inexpensive DIY with y'all. I mentioned that I am redoing my room at home, because I'll most likely be living here for the next 1-2 years. I am very grateful that my parents are allowing me to make me childhood bedroom more grown-up! One thing I knew I wanted was a DIY headboard. Here were a few of my inspiration images: 




I looked through tons of DIY tutorials, but the easiest I found was on Thrifty Decor Chick. I followed her supply list, but then my mom and I kind of figured it out on our own. Instead of buying batting for the upholstery under the fabric, we bought a cheap mattress pad at Target (on sale for $13). I bought a queen size, and that was more than enough. 


I bought this shower curtain at Target to cover it. This is a much cheaper alternative to fabric (it was only $20). I honestly don't know how much fabric you'd use, but my headboard was for a full bed, and there was extra material left over. 

STEPS

Step 1: Cut the shape. 
My dad injured his shoulder about 4 months ago, so he was unable to cut the shape of the headboard (due to the weight of the plywood), so my mom had our painter cut it one day! It took him maybe 10 minutes. He attached legs to the frame so I could add it to a metal bed frame, as opposed to the wall. I wish I had taken a picture when he first cut it, but he cut it in the Belgrave shape. It looked like the above photo. 

Step 2: Attach the mattress pad with a staple gun. 
We kind of just figured this out as we went and made sure there wasn't any crumpling that would show through the fabric. We also cut excess fabric off of the back and were very liberal with the staples. Please excuse this iPhone photo--the window behind me was making the lighting weird!

Step 3: Attach the fabric with the staple gun. 
Once again, we kind of just figured this out as we went. The tighter it's pulled, the better. My mom stapled, as I stood in front and pulled the fabric tighter and made sure the fabric was flat. 

Step 4. Touch up any loose pieces, cut any extra fabric, etc. 
We just used regular scissors for this! It doesn't need to be pretty if no one will be seeing that side! 

Voila! That's it! After you're done, you can attach it to the wall or bed! 

My headboard legs, ready to be attached to the bed frame. 

 Tips 
-Have a good staple gun. We already had one, but I know some sell for as little as $20 at Lowe's. 
-Have scissors handy to trim and cut fabric. 
-When attaching the fabric, we fitted the top first, then the edges, then the sides, and finally the bottom. 
-The more intricate the headboard shape, the more difficult it is. This is obvious, but just be prepared to get frustrated with sharp/rounded corners. 
-Solid fabrics are more forgiving than patterns, in my opinion. 
-Have someone help you! I could not have done this alone. 
-It takes much longer than expected. I would say it took us around 45 minutes to cover it. I thought it would take 15 haha! 

This project was very inexpensive, as well! I think the total was $68 ($35 sheet of plywood, $20 shower curtain, and $13 mattress pad)! If any of y'all try this, let me know how it goes! I'll make sure to do a room update as soon as everything is ready. 

What was your latest DIY attempt? Have a terrific Thursday! 

Miss Southern Prep 
*Images: 1-3, 4

5 comments:

  1. I love your posts about decorating. Your headboard turned out divine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the headboard! I've been thinking about making my childhood room more grown-up, but I don't want to spend any money haha! I'll have to look for more inexpensive DIYs like this :)

    Kristin
    thedixiedaisy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the sweet comments, y'all!