Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Pineapples & Southern Hospitality

I've always loved pineapples in home decor, but I love their meaning even more. Pineapples represent hospitality and were used by hostesses during the colonial period. Hostesses placed a pineapple on their table when guests were coming for a visit, because pineapples were a sign of wealth and hospitality. They were (and still are) an essential part of Colonial Williamsburg Christmas decorations and can even be found in some of the architecture:


{Click here to read more about pineapples in Williamsburg}

Pineapples continue to be a symbol of warmth, welcome, and good cheer and can be found in many Southern homes. My cousin has gorgeous pineapple lights outside of her home and I've always admired them. They sound weird, but I promise they're very cute and inviting! I've been on a pineapple kick lately, so I thought I'd share some of my adorable finds with y'all: 

Mariposa bottle stopper 

Door knocker from Orvis

Kate Spade clutch

Earrings--only $9.53 at Asos!  

Sconces from One Kings Lane 

Shut the Front Door 2 door hanger 

Dish towels from LuLu LaRock 

Do you decorate with pineapples? Have a great day, y'all! 

Miss Southern Prep
Photo: 1, 2

7 comments:

  1. I love the wine stopper and the dish towels! My mom has a whole collection of pineapple things throughout our house; I like how they represent southern hospitality!

    Kristin
    thedixiedaisy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love pineapples, my mom's always had a little gold one in our kitchen at home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always heard the story about pineapples and southern hospitality. I love how on the last night of the guests stay, the host/hostess would incorporate pineapple into the meal somehow.

    southernbelleramblings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love pineapples. They taste amazing and they are a fashion trend right now. I mean you cant loose. We have our kitchen in the theme of pineapples! haha

    Love Always,
    Elizabeth
    thejourneycreatingme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mother is obsessed with pineapples. My father says he is leaving if she gets one more pineapple.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the sweet comments, y'all!