Wednesday, June 11, 2014

My Happiness Project

I'm not really sure how to begin this post, but it's on the heavier (and longer) side, so feel free to skip if you're not in the mood for something so serious today!


I have been struggling with happiness a lot lately. I think that your mood, optimism, and outlook on life can definitely affect the way your day goes, but I also think there are some other factors that you can't control, yet obviously affect your mood and happiness. I graduated in May (yay!), but my life is in a major transition phase right now, and I feel like my entire world is a little crazy. I've never done well with change, but right now, everything in my life is changing, and I'm learning to sit back and watch my life unfold. Is this normal for recent college grads? Of course, it is, but that doesn't mean that it's any easier for me to cope with these changes.


In the past few years, I have struggled a lot with my personal happiness. I'm a Type-A personality, so I always want things to go an exact way, and if they don't go exactly as planned, I have a very difficult time appreciating them. I know this a personal flaw and I have been working on it every day, but it's something I still need to work on a lot. As a Type-A, I'm also constantly setting goals for myself. When I accomplish them, I'm not really sure how to celebrate, though. It's almost like I'm jut crossing something simple off my to-do list, instead of celebrating the fact that I graduated with honors, was hired for a summer internship, etc. I don't take the time to celebrate and actually be happy for myself, which I'm also working to change.

Some personal things have contributed to my less-than-happy attitude (I don't want to say unhappy) lately. I always wonder where to draw the line between my real life and what I share on my blog, but in the past three years, some major health issues, a move, and several other personal life changes have occurred. However, I'm working on making my own happiness.

{My gratitude journal is a monogrammed book from May Designs and my daily devotional

In the past, I've kept a gratitude journal, but as my nights grew later and later during the semester, I put it towards the side. However, I honestly noticed a change in my mood when I'd count my blessings each day. I challenged myself to write three things I was thankful for each day, but I often felt compelled to write a lot more. I also did a daily devotional at night, which added to my optimistic perspective. The devotional helps me remember that worrying will get me nowhere--God has a plan for each of our lives, but I always find myself worrying about finding "the one," finding a job, etc., and I need to stop. These are just a few small, daily tasks I'm working on to make myself happier.


I don't want anyone to think that I'm not grateful for the blessings I do have. I know I have a wonderful family, amazing friends, a roof over my head, and money in my bank account, which is more than many can say, and for that, I am extremely grateful. I am choosing to write this post because happiness is something that I've struggled with a lot recently; however, I'm choosing to follow Bethenny's advice (first quote) and choose happiness for myself.

Thanks so much for reading along, y'all!

xoxo,

Miss Southern Prep 

6 comments:

  1. The transition post grad is tough, I won't deny it. I was having a very hard time towards the end of my senior year for a variety of reasons. It's always hard to know what to share on a blog! However, now I'm so so happy and loving life. As annoying as it sounds, I do think everything works out. It just takes time unfortunately. And don't be so hard on yourself! I know us Type A's have a hard time with that. I'll be thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am Type A too and recently made this transition, it's definitely tough! You should definitely celebrate those awesome accomplishments before going after your next goal :) and keeping a gratitude journal has been life changing for me. God is good, and things are only going to get better for you girl! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I related to this so so much. In fact, I probably could have written it. Hang in there, graduating college IS a huge life change.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the idea of writing 3 or more things that you're thankful for each day. I'm going to start doing that!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you other ladies, post grad life is really hard. When I finished my undergrad, I got depressed. I went home - my friends were all at school or gone. It sucked. I thought it would never get better. But, it does. You have to learn what this next part of your life is all about. Its a time of discovery and learning about you. Take the time to appreciate where you've been and what you want to do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a tough transition from college to the real world. I went through some depression at the time too. It will get better.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the sweet comments, y'all!