Monday, February 24, 2014

To gel or not to gel?

Ok y'all, today I'm talking about something I'm sure most of y'all have experience with: gel manicures. I think I've only had 3-4 gel manicures in the past 2 years, but none of my experiences have been that great. My last gel manicure was on Christmas Eve, and my nails are still recovering.
 
 
I know most nail salons say that gel manicures are ok for your nails, but my nails have always been very brittle afterwards. It's been 2 months since my last gel manicure, but I can still see the dent in my nails where the gel manicure was. I've been taking biotin to help my hair and nails, but the nails are still weak. I'm also concerned about the UV rays that are in the nail dryers, but that's a completely different story.
 
 
I love the gel because of the long-lasting polish, but if it is going to take 3 months for my nails to recover from a manicure, I'm not sure it's worth it. What's your opinion on gel nails?
 
Have a wonderful Monday!
 
Miss Southern Prep  
*Photo: 1, 2

8 comments:

  1. I'm the same way; the recovery isn't worth the chip-free shine. And, as a mom, I'm constantly washing my hands and the polish never last as long as it did before kiddos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just decided not to get my nails done. I would rather have healthy nails than the after effects of nails that barely last two weeks! So I dont like gel nails either!

    Love Always,
    Elizabeth
    thejourneycreatingme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer just normal nail polish. I don't really like the process of have to get the gel taken off and I hear it makes your nails thin.

    Lauren,
    http://www.atouchofsoutherngrace.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I vote no for manicure and yes for pedicure! I love gel pedicures, they last forever on me and don't appear to damage the nails. However, my nails fingernails grow so fast that gel barely lasts a week on me and has made my nails weak in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that the durability of a gel manicure is not worth the damage it does to your nails. My nails were left uneven and peeling even after moisturizing them several times and I vowed never to give into gel again.

    Stephanie,
    http://lifeisbetteronthesouthernside.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wanted to get them, but then heard they can ruin your nails just like fake nails...so I bailed on following through with getting them done.
    Sadly where I am from they can't do shellac pedis at least for one place I went to. :/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Www.shotgunsandpearls.blogspot.com

    I love too, but hate how my nails are after. I did discover a polish called "gel finish" by Avon that is shiny like a gel

    ReplyDelete
  8. We bought a home gel kit and I can't say that I use it that much! I love how it looks but I can't be dealing with how much of a faff it is to remove it! I've found that if you soak off the gel and then peel it off it doesn't damage your nails to badly :)

    The Life & Times of Belle

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the sweet comments, y'all!