Thursday, February 13, 2014

How to: Organize a small space

I think I've told y'all this before, but I'm living in the sorority house and my room is SO tiny. I have a single, which is nice, but it's still challenging making use of the space. Since I now consider myself somewhat of an expert on making the best of a tiny space, here are some of my tips for organizing your small space (especially a dorm room):
 
 1. Narrow down belongings.
I know this seems obvious, but you'd be suprised at how easily a small space can be overwhelmed by too much clutter. Narrowing down the amount of "stuff" I brought was probably the hardest part of organizing my small space haha. This is the list of items I was taking back to school after winter break. I try to limit myself to a certain number of tubs or suitcases, and if all of my stuff doesn't fit, I have to narrow it down.
 
2. Make storage containers and tubs your best friends.
I keep all of my extra toiletry items (contacts, Band Aids, extra body wash, etc.) in this container on a shelf in my closet. This large Lilly storage box is perfect for holding my snacks, cups, etc. in my room. I keep it on the floor by my desk. The storage boxes come in 2 different sizes (medium and large) and are perfect for food, because they wipe down really easily.
 
3. Invest in a shoe organizer.
You'd be surprised at what a difference a shoe organizer makes. I can't handle the junky look of my closet when my shoes are just sitting at the bottom of my closet. I have an organizer like this one from Target, but it's black and white. I've used mine since freshman year, and it's always been perfect to hang over the back of my closet.
 
4. Organize your jewelry.
I usually keep all of my jewelry in a jewelry tray, and it's always a messy nightmare. Over Christmas break, I switched to this organizer and love it! It makes me wear pieces I normally wouldn't choose, since I can see everything. I found it at Marshall's for $9.99.
 
5. Only keep the "necessary" items out.
I try to only keep necessary items out in my room and put the rest away in my closet and/or containers. I keep this Nico and LaLa tray out on my desk with my makeup brushes, makeup, a small jewelry box for my every day jewelry, and my every day hair items.
 
6. Take advantage of storage under your bed.
I keep a few tubs under my bed, plus a mini dresser, and a little ottoman with old notes/school supplies. In a small space, you have to take advantage of every storage opportunity!
 
Also, small spaces can look messy easily, so I try to clean a little each day. Keeping the space clutter-free and clean makes it look even more organized! What are your small space organization tips? Have a fabulous day!
 
Miss Southern Prep

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful tips! I need to organize in a major way!

    Lauren,
    http://www.atouchofsoutherngrace.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips! When I lived in my 650 SF condo, I had to make use of every nook and cranny. One thing we did was add shelving in cabinets so you get double the storage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These tips are great! I am not usually good at organizing in a small space but with these tips I feel like I can! :)

    Love Always,
    Elizabeth
    thejourneycreatingme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips, I'm organising my small office this weekend!
    Aesthetic Lounge

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great tips! A friend of mine is moving into a small space at the end of the month so I'll pass this post along to her!

    Sarah
    Sweet Spontaneity

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm always envious of people that are good at organizing! I start out organized, and then it just all goes downhill. I think I'm just a messy girl at heart :)
    http://memandco.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the sweet comments, y'all!