Thursday, January 30, 2014

How to: Write the perfect to-do list

This semester, I'm taking more classes than I've ever taken (who said 2nd semester seniors had it easy?!), working 3 days a week at my internship, and job-hunting. My week is filled to the brim, and if I don't organize it well, I'm completely overwhelmed. I keep sane by writing to-do lists for everything! Everyone has a different writing method for their to-do lists, but today I thought I'd show y'all how I organize/write my lists.


 Weekly
I use my Lilly planner to write my to-do lists. I'll write reminders at the bottom of each day about what is coming up that week (like a paper or a quiz), until the day it's actually due, to remind myself of what I need to do. I also write out what my internship duties are at the beginning of the week, then organize them by day.
 
Daily
I write to-do lists to help me remember smaller tasks I need to do each day. I have really bad short-term memory, so I need to write everything down to remember it.
 
Hourly
When I'm really in a time crunch or have a lot of work to do in one nigh, then I write out an hourly to-do list. I know I don't have time to waste, so this helps me stay on track and avoid Tweeting, Instagramming, and Facebooking.
 
Do you use to-do lists? Any tips? Have a fabulous day, y'all!
 
Miss Southern Prep

10 comments:

  1. Great post! I am a huge fan of the to-do list!

    Lauren,
    http://www.atouchofsoutherngrace.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I write all major events/errands/ and work assignments in my planner for the week and then create a daily to do list everyday to tackle them. Love your handwriting and who makes that hunter boot notepad btw?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've started to write to do lists, I find it keeps me organised and I get more done, instead of, like you say, browsing fb and achieving nothing

    ReplyDelete
  4. I for sure do to-do list! I have never thought about doing one by the hour though! Good thinking!!! :)

    Love Always,
    Elizabeth
    thejourneycreatingme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. To-do lists are my life... Seriously, I don't know what I'd do without my Lilly planner, and I always love taking a peek at other people's methods!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've started to use my planner a lot more this semester (my last one at uni) because it's so crazy! I think I need to start breaking down my to-do lists into weeks/hours/days to keep me motivated - it's a great idea, thanks!

    The Life & Times of Belle

    ReplyDelete
  7. The hourly to do list is a great idea. I waste too much time during short breaks because I have a lack of direction. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The hourly to-do list is a great idea. I waste too much break time doing nothing because of lack of clear direction. I recently honed (& blogged on) my own methods, which are somewhat different than yours because I have writing projects, but it's good to see what works for others.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the sweet comments, y'all!