Monday, December 9, 2013

Envy

One of my biggest struggles is envy. I know we've all been there before, but I've been struggling a lot lately with feelings of jealousy, even about small things that do not matter in the grand scheme of life. I love blogging for so many reasons, but sometimes it's hard to read certain blogs when the authors are showing pictures from their latest luxury vacation, clothes they just bought on a shopping spree, or pictures from their seemingly picturesque life. I've shared my struggle with perfection before, and I think at times, my envy goes hand-in-hand with my need for perfection. 

 
Of course no one's life is perfect, but I often find myself comparing my blessings to others, which I know I shouldn't do. I wonder why my hair doesn't look like it was just styled for a Tresemme ad or why I don't have the perfect boyfriend who randomly surprises me with expensive gifts. I usually try to check myself when I start getting on this "why not me" train, but I've been struggling with this lately. 

 
The other night, I got in bed and started reading my nightly devotional, and this passage jumped out at me: "Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have." Hebrews 13:5
 
So often we can get caught up with wanting the newest pair of Tory Burch flats or a new dress from Lilly's spring collection, that we forget how blessed we truly are. Of course I have problems in my life, and it's far from perfect, but I have what matters most: a home, a loving family, three meals a day, an opportunity to attend school, fabulous friends, and my health. I realize that God has blessed me beyond belief with all of these, yet I wasn't considering them "enough" to fulfill me.

 
I realized that instead of focusing on the "I don't have ___," I need to be focusing on all of the blessings I do have! I know this holiday season, I am beyond blessed.
 
Have a great Monday, y'all!
 
Miss Southern Prep
*Photos: Pinterest

7 comments:

  1. I can definitely relate to what you are talking about. For some reason it always seems like it is easier to concentrate on the things we don't have then it is to count or blessings. I always find it seems to be the case that when I get in a positive frame of mind things start to magically come together and fall into place.

    Lauren,
    http://www.atouchofsoutherngrace.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're SO right! Thank you for the well-needed reminder this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great and appropriate post for this time of year!

    I once heard that for everything you find yourself envying or being jealous of instead think of one thing you are thankful for. It starts to shape your mindset into one of gratitude instead of jealousy.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is third gratitude post I've seen today...I think their is just something about this time of year that brings out these thoughts. I can totally relate..I'm a perfectionist and always want everything to be perfect, my outfit, my apartment etc etc. My Mom is always telling me to relax and appreciate what I do have and realize that not everything needs to be perfect. If it helps, I've always thought you come off as being a very put together and stylish individual! you have nothing to worry about:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are blessed that you have such wisdom at your age...many people don't realize what's REALLY important until later in life, and some never do.

    Those other glamour-bloggers with the "perfect" life are not blogging their true selves as you do. They have the same problems we all have, they just don't chose to share and make themselves vulnerable.

    You are a star and you inspire many young women with your blog!
    xo/Christine

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a wonderful post. We do have so many wonderful things, but it's easy to forget...especially in the community we're a part of. It is a wonderful one, but it's easy to see what others have. Thanks for the reminder and know that you're not alone!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I struggle with envy at times too. You said it wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the sweet comments, y'all!