Monday, January 7, 2013

The Strive for Perfection

Type AAA personality? Although sometimes I hate to admit that, it's totally me. I'm obsessed with control and perfection, and when things don't go exactly the way I plan, I turn into a complete mess. Seriously, y'all should see the 100 post-its I write myself every day as reminders of things I need to do, goals I have for the next day, and work I need to get done. This serious planning and OCD-ness are only worsened by my serious need for perfection. 

Pinned Image
 
As a child, I remember my teachers and parents saying that "there's no such thing as perfect," but of course, I completely disagreed, even at a young age. I think women, especially, try to do it all--they want to be Superwoman and balance their kids, career, workouts, husband, time with friends, etc, while doing it all perfectly. Even now, I know some women who make it look SO easy. This one lady I babysit for has the "perfect" home, body, job, wardrobe, husband, daughter, and car. Basically her entire life is "perfect."

I babysat for this "perfect" family last week, and every time I come to their house, the mom and I have a long talk before I leave. She's so fun to talk to and we just "click." I almost want to be an older version of her when I get older haha. Anyway, during our chat, she told me, "You know, nothing's perfect. There have to be some give and takes in your life." I seriously could not believe what I was hearing! This perfect woman was telling me that she wasn't perfect?! She continued by sharing some personal struggles she had been going through, and it was honestly like a breakthrough.  Someone who I see as perfect was telling me that perfection is an unattainable goal. 

I have spent the last 21 years of my life trying to be perfect--please my parents, go to the school I was "suppose" to go to, get straight As, make Dean's List, graduate with honors--that sometimes I forget that perfection isn't an attainable goal. Like my teachers taught me, there really is no such thing as perfection. 

I know that my Type-A personality will make it hard for me to calm my perfection noise, next time I'm in hysterics over a task being completed below my expectations, I'll take a deep breath and remember that not everything goes exactly as planned. 

Do y'all ever struggle with the strive for perfection? Have a wonderful Monday, y'all! 

Miss Southern Prep 
*Photo

11 comments:

  1. I can definitely get like that at times during work. Deep breaths hep for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. NA. I am so proud of you for writing such an honest and incredible post. As you know, I do have that same focus and the type-a personality to go with it. I'm definitely favoriting this post so I can come back and read it :) Happy Monday. oxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally know where you are coming from. I always think that other people are more pulled together or perfect than I am and get hard on myself about it. I've learned over time to just let go more and enjoy the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have totally described me. I get anxious and overwhelmed because I put so much on myself sometimes - I have to do lists for my to do lists. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think women are definitely put under this "perfection spell" by society. We're expected to be career women but also raise the perfect family in a beautifully decorated house where we cook perfectly delicious and healthy meals, while also trying to find the time to work out, be social, etc. It's madness! I know I definitely struggle with this obsession for perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can totally relate to you. The older I get the more I see my limitations and accept it...it's hard though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love your site, and even better i loved reading this. i am straight type a, and it makes it so hard to be happy sometimes. it is nice to hear it from the people who sometimes don't think so!

    i am excited to join your site and hope you follow back :) cheers to blog friendship!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is totallyyyy me!!! I can relate to this on so many levels. I've always strived for perfection, and have convinced myself that I must do everything perfectly, from how I dress, to school, even to having the perfect boyfriend. It's so frustrating because I'm constantly letting myself down! You're right, NO ONE is perfect, and trying to be perfect is a complete waste of time. Thanks for this reminder!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this blog post because it is so honest. I have struggled with the same problem my entire life because I too am a Type-A personality. This is especially showing strongly with my wedding planning. It seems like if something doesn't turn out the way I expect it to, then I want to freak out. I'm trying to not let it stress me out as much, but it is definitely a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think we all have to get to a place in our life were we are ok with ourselves and know that sometimes are best isn't always good enough. But as long as we are doing our best.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am completely Type A myself, but teaching has actually helped me let go some! I've had to realize when you're working with a bunch of 5 year olds, nothings goes quite perfectly and it's been nice to relax!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the sweet comments, y'all!