Friday, June 8, 2012

DIY--Lilly Coasters

When I bought my Lilly calendar last July, I was obsessed with all of the different prints that went along with each month. Since I retired my planner in December, I have been trying to think of a way to use those pages and finally thought of one--to make Lilly coasters! 

My finished coasters!

This project was super easy and cost me less than $5! This is what I did: 

STEP 1 
First I gathered all of my supplies: 
  1. Tiles--I bought these small tiles at Lowe's for $0.36 a piece, and the large one was $0.76. My total was just a little over $3! 
  2. Modge Podge--This can be bought at Hobby Lobby or at most craft stores. 
  3. A glue gun 
  4. My old Lilly planner 
  5. Scissors and a foam brush to paint on the modge podge 
  6. Sheets of felt--I ended up using less than 2 for all of the tiles. 
STEP 2
Next, I chose the papers I wanted to use for each tile and ripped them out of my book. 

After that, I traced the tile on the paper, making sure to avoid any of the month names. You'll probably only be able to get one tile traced on each piece of paper, so you should have the same number of tiles and Lilly papers.


STEP 3 
After cutting out a tile shape from each paper, I painted a layer of Modge Podge on each tile using my felt brush. 

Then, I placed the piece of paper on top of the tile and painted another layer of Modge Podge on top of the paper. 


I let that layer dry for about 20 minutes, and then I painted another layer on top of the first layer. I repeated this again about 30 minutes later, bringing the total to three layers of Modge Podge on top of the paper. 

STEP 4
Next, I traced a tile shape on the felt, and then cut out 7 pieces of felt (which is the number of coasters I was making) with my scissors. After the third layer of Modge Podge, I let the tiles dry for about an hour and then went around the edges with an exacto knife to get rid of the extra paper. 


STEP 5 
I used my glue gun to glue the felt on to the back of each tile. The felt doesn't have to be perfect, but it should cover most of the tile, because this will stop the coaster from scratching your table! 


STEP 6
After that, I flipped the tiles back over and checked for any edges that hadn't been glued down by the Modge Podge, checked for any problems, and let them dry for 24 hours. After those 24 hours, you have brand new Lilly coasters for your guests to use! 

My finished coasters!

I love my coasters and can't wait to use them in my apartment next year! What have y'all done with your old Lilly planners? Have a fabulous weekend, and don't forget to enter my giveaway

Miss Southern Prep 

*All photos are my own; please do not use them without my permission!

19 comments:

  1. Such a fun idea to recycle your calendar. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great idea! I'll have to do this with my Lilly planner too! <3 -- Hope

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow cute!!! Awesome idea!!! I was considering throwing my old Lilly planner away but now I will have a new project (even though I don't have my own place... I can use them when people drink in my room)!!! Thanks for the idea!! (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, what an awesome idea! I have an old Lilly planner that I've been wondering what to do with. Thanks for the inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. those look so cute!! you did a great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so neat!! I'm definitely going to make those sometime. I'm not too crafty, but this seems right up my alley! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness - this is a great project! What a creative way to reuse the patterned paper. And, now you have Lilly coasters! I just might have to get a Lilly calendar next year so I can do the same!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is adorable! I'm definitely going to try this with one of my old Lilly planners! XO
    http://northshoreprep.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. They turned out cute! I've been meaning to do something with my old planner pages!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a wonderfully great idea! I think I may have to try this myself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those turned out DARLING! I just finished my classroom rocking chair Tuesday. I spray painted it the most fab key lime green, then cut some Lilly gators and hibiscus flowers from some fabric scrapes and mod podged them to the back. My back pillow is made from the same fabric and my seat cushion is lime green with white latttice fabric! OH I am all over these coasters a.s.a.p. Thanks for sharing this fab idea!!!!

    Love and Hugs,
    Mrs. Kindergarten...aka...Madame Spoiled

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look amazing! Great idea and perfect for summer entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I did the same thing a while back. I get so many compliments on them. I will definitely be doing the same with this years planner! By the way I love your blog, so CUTE!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness I love this idea! Definitely need to make these ASAP and get rid of my old coasters. xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow such a great idea! I definitely just pinned this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow this is such an awesome way to recycle planners, definitely want to do this!!!
    I would love to get other peoples pages from December and make a whole set of them to set out at Christmas, as well!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the sweet comments, y'all!