Monday, April 9, 2012

Hostess Gifts

On Friday, I'm going to stay with one of my friends at her house for the weekend. Of course, I'm taking a hostess gift, but I haven't decided just what yet! Here are some items that I think are perfect to give a gracious host/hostess!


  • Alcohol--Bringing a bottle of the host/hostess' favorite bottle of wine or liquor is always appropriate, especially for a dinner party! 
  • Stationery
  • A Book--My mom loves interior design, so one time, a guest brought her an interior design book to put on our coffee table, and I thought it was a great idea! Just make sure you choose one that you know the host will appreciate!
  • Monogrammed dish towels
  • Cheese with a cute cheese knife or cutting board 
  • A baked treat from the host's favorite bakery or restaurant--You can even make the treat yourself, but it seems so thoughtful when you make/pick-up something that you know the host will just love!
  • A nice box of tea 
  • Monogrammed serving tray
  • Candle
  • A frame--Bonus points if it's monogrammed! 
  • Fresh flowers--Fresh flowers are always appreciated!
  • Monogrammed Tervis Tumblers--I think these would be perfect if you were staying at a friend's vacation home! Can you ever have too many Tervis tumblers?! 

Obviously, hostess gifts are situational, so pick the appropriate gift based on the occasion and the host's likes and dislikes. Also, don't forget to send a thank-you note after leaving! I always write mine as soon as I get back, and send it the next day, so everything is fresh in my mind. I promise the host/hostess will appreciate it!

What do you bring as a gift to parties or when you stay with a friend for the weekend? Hope you have a great week! 

Miss Southern Prep 

8 comments:

  1. These are all great ideas! I had some friends come stay with me at the beach last year for a week and they gave me a gift card to my favorite store!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love giving hostess gifts! I usually stick to a nice soap or candle and dishtowels, but these are all such great ideas!

    Allyson
    http://cupcakescandycanes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love giving hostess gifts, and I am always looking for new ideas! Definitely saving this! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great ideas. Thanks for doing this post, I'm always looking for new hostess gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always bring fresh flowers as a hostess gift! I'm glad to find so many new ideas, though - monogrammed towels would be a great alternative, especially if I wrapped them around the stems of the bouquet!

    SHF
    thechroniclesofs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE the idea of bringing hostess gifts! this is definitely som ething I'd like to start doing :) so thoughtful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lot of the hostess gifts I give are similar to those you listed.

    I'm from an area in Ontario that is known for it's wine, so if I'm a guest of someone from outside of the region, I like to bring a bottle or two of local wine.

    P.S. Blogger doesn't always let me leave comments on your blog (comment box doesn't show up) and I'm not sure why =(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love these picks! They're wonderful hostess gifts... I want all of these for myself, too!

    Generally, I take a bottle of wine and something small and then send them a bigger thank-you gift & note upon my return home of something from my hometown. We have a chocolatier called Peterbrooke, and I'll often send a plethora of Peterbrooke items or something else that is local to Jax.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the sweet comments, y'all!